Chick Flick Picks: Quartet
When I get old, I want to live in a place like Beecham House for Retired Musicians. Unfortunately, I am neither British nor a famous musician, so that probably won’t be happening, but I did love getting to spend an hour and a half with the Beecham House’s residents in “Quartet,” directed by Dustin Hoffman.
“Quartet” stars Tom Courtenay, Pauline Collins, Billy Connolly (who will always be Billy McGregor on “Head of the Class” to me) and Michael Gambon (Dumbledore!) and is led by an outstanding (as if we would expect any other kind) performance by Maggie Smith. The erstwhile Dowager Countess plays Jean Horton, an opera diva who used to be married to Tom Courtenay’s Reggie and sing with Pauline Collins’ and Billy Connolly’s characters.
The film deals with poignant topics like aging and the difficulties of dealing with both the past and the future in a beautiful way, helped along no doubt by such strong performances from the cast, the gorgeous setting of Beecham House and breathtaking performances from some of Britain’s greatest real-life retired musicians. Overall, it’s one of the sweetest movies I’ve seen in a while, and while it may not be your typical chick flick, I definitely recommend giving it a chance to win you over.
“Quartet” is currently playing in Austin at the Regal Arbor 8.
2 Comments + Add Comment
Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!
- Chick Flick Picks: Laggies
- The Revamped SoLa Alamo and Highball
- HBO GO Pick of the Week: Girls
- Whedon Watch: “In Your Eyes”
- Netflix Instant Pick of the Week: Rectify
- ATX Television Festival: Day Three: Roswell’s 15-year reunion
- ATX Television Festival: Day Two
- ATX Television Festival: Day One
- Tune into the ATX Television Festival This Weekend
- Odd Duck
- The Remembering Process made this Chickster time travel
- Netflix Instant Mother’s Day Pick of the Week: The Guilt Trip
- Chick Flick Picks: Fed Up and Neighbors
- Bookworm Reviews: Angel Sometimes and Austin Author Helen Ginger
- Chick Flick Picks: The Other Woman
Buy Chickster t-shirts and more on CafePress!