Netflix Instant Holiday Pick of the Week: 12 Dates of Christmas
I was feeling the holiday spirit yesterday so I searched Netflix Instant for Christmas titles. I was really looking for “A Boyfriend for Christmas,” but that isn’t on Instant so I ended up watching “My Future Boyfriend,” which isn’t Christmas-related but how could I resist a time-traveling romance? (It was cute, with charmingly portrayed lead characters, but it is certainly cheesy and low budget.) But next, I stumbled on “12 Dates of Christmas.” I was very pleasantly surprised by the amped-up holiday spirit, matched with an interesting “Groundhog Day”-like script and two lead actors I really like, Amy Smart (“Just Friends”) and Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Ummm, Zack Morris!). I liked it so much, I even re-watched it a second time this morning.
Though not quite as satisfying as “Groundhog Day,” since Bill Murray is said in film commentaries to spend 10 or so years in his one-day purgatory, “12 Dates of Christmas” is true to its title. Kate has 12 dates to get it right with the charming and good-hearted Miles, as well as selflessly try and improve the lives of everyone around her.
Amy Smart is also great in this role. It could’ve easily tipped over to too selfish and too bitchy, yet she tows the line so well you like her even when there’s tons of room for improvement in her priorities. She also has a little fun with her predicament at one point that anyone on a budget or who fears any sort of permanent consequences would enjoy.
So overall, especially with the always-charming Zack Morris, I highly recommend this Christmas-themed romantic comedy. Though, just like “Groundhog Day,” there is one date buried in there I prefer to the true ending, the real one is certainly a good “everybody happy” wrap-up. So if you get some time before December 25, give it a try!
8 Comments + Add Comment
Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!
- Christmas on Netflix Instant: Happy Christmas
- Chick Flick Picks: Laggies
- The Revamped SoLa Alamo and Highball
- HBO GO Pick of the Week: Girls
- Whedon Watch: “In Your Eyes”
- Netflix Instant Pick of the Week: Rectify
- ATX Television Festival: Day Three: Roswell’s 15-year reunion
- ATX Television Festival: Day Two
- ATX Television Festival: Day One
- Tune into the ATX Television Festival This Weekend
- Odd Duck
- The Remembering Process made this Chickster time travel
- Netflix Instant Mother’s Day Pick of the Week: The Guilt Trip
- Chick Flick Picks: Fed Up and Neighbors
- Bookworm Reviews: Angel Sometimes and Austin Author Helen Ginger
Buy Chickster t-shirts and more on CafePress!