Do You Like Scary Movies?
It’s almost impossible to believe it’s been 16 years since that creepy voice on the other end of the phone line first asked Drew Barrymore, “Do you like scary movies?” As someone who actually doesn’t like scary movies with the exception of the “Scream” series and this year’s “Cabin in the Woods” (the latter of which I think should have shut the book on the genre for good), I wasn’t quite shrieking for joy when I heard the Paramount Theatre would be hosting a Halloween Film Fest. But of course, the Paramount programmers didn’t let me down, mixing in funny-scary movies along with horror standards and throwing in an adorable jack-o-lantern twist to boot.
From Friday, Oct. 26, to Wednesday, Oct. 31, the Paramount and its sister theater, the State, will be showing some Halloween classics like “The Exorcist” and “The Omen” along with genre classics like “The Lost Boys” and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” Like the Paramount’s Summer Film Classics series, most movies will be presented as double features, which means your $10 ticket gets you into two movies for the price of one.
But the best treat of all is that the Paramount will also hold an inaugural Pumpkin Spooktacular. On Oct. 29-31, all Austinites are invited to bring their carved jack-o-lanterns down to the Paramount. Then each night they’ll be lit inside the theater, creating a magical environment for some scary movie viewing. The website includes details on the carving contest as well as links to patterns. Bring one, and you get into the movie for free.
So will you check out the Halloween Film Fest at the Paramount? What’s your favorite scary movie?
2 Comments + Add Comment
Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!
- Whedon Watch: “In Your Eyes”
- Netflix Instant Pick of the Week: Rectify
- ATX Television Festival: Day Three: Roswell’s 15-year reunion
- ATX Television Festival: Day Two
- ATX Television Festival: Day One
- Tune into the ATX Television Festival This Weekend
- Odd Duck
- The Remembering Process made this Chickster time travel
- Netflix Instant Mother’s Day Pick of the Week: The Guilt Trip
- Chick Flick Picks: Fed Up and Neighbors
- Bookworm Reviews: Angel Sometimes and Austin Author Helen Ginger
- Chick Flick Picks: The Other Woman
- Beautimous: Beauty Subscription Boxes
- Guest Post: Yoga for Wellness #6
Buy Chickster t-shirts and more on CafePress!