Five Things We Love This Week
1) By far, one of the sweetest, most emotional moviegoing experiences we’ve had so far this year came at the hands of The Muppets. The latest Muppet movie (and their first feature film outing in more than a decade) is the perfect movie for the start of the holiday season with Kermit and Co.’s trademark mix of earnestness and meta-humor. Chickster crush Jason Segel and co-writer Nicholas Stoller do an admirable job in bringing our childhood icons back to the silver screen in a way that will appeal to Muppet novices and the nostalgic alike. And if you’re anything like us, you will probably tear up a time or two. The songs are also great, and, of course, you can’t think of the Muppets without thinking of two words:
2) And on the other end of the November movie releases, this reviewer sums up exactly how we felt about “Breaking Dawn, Part 1″:
3) So many great movies will be coming out in the next four weeks, but one of the ones we are most excited about is Chickster favorite Cameron Crowe’s “We Bought a Zoo,” which comes out Dec. 23. The Hollywood Reporter caught up with Crowe in a great cover story that also includes the mix tape (what else?) he made to convince Matt Damon to sign on for the project. We were happy to see our all-time favorite Ryan Adams song (and Crowe knows from Ryan Adams songs), “If I Am a Stranger,” on the playlist. Here’s a video a fan recorded of Adams playing the song solo at a show in Ireland this summer. As usual, his vocals are heartbreakingly gorgeous:
4) The Hairpin has added another great installment to our beloved Scandals of Classic Hollywood series, this time focusing on the fascinating and tragic story of the beautiful Rita Hayworth. Long, but well worth the read.
5) It is officially December, which means it’s time for one of our favorite music genres — Christmas music! Over on HelloGiggles, they’ve assembled a pitch-perfect mix of retro holiday jams, including one of our absolute musts, Darlene Love’s “Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)”:
10 Comments + Add Comment
Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!
- The Revamped SoLa Alamo and Highball
- HBO GO Pick of the Week: Girls
- Whedon Watch: “In Your Eyes”
- Netflix Instant Pick of the Week: Rectify
- ATX Television Festival: Day Three: Roswell’s 15-year reunion
- ATX Television Festival: Day Two
- ATX Television Festival: Day One
- Tune into the ATX Television Festival This Weekend
- Odd Duck
- The Remembering Process made this Chickster time travel
- Netflix Instant Mother’s Day Pick of the Week: The Guilt Trip
- Chick Flick Picks: Fed Up and Neighbors
- Bookworm Reviews: Angel Sometimes and Austin Author Helen Ginger
- Chick Flick Picks: The Other Woman
- Beautimous: Beauty Subscription Boxes
Buy Chickster t-shirts and more on CafePress!